National Pump and energy

CHROMIUM

  • Chromium
  • Mines Producing Chromium

Chromium oxide was used by the Chinese more that 2,000 years ago to coat weapons found among the Terra Cotta Warriors and Horses sculptures in the Lintong district, Xian, in 1974. It was recognised as an element in the Western World in the red crystalline mineral, crocoite, in 1971 and was first used as a pigment. Chromium metal was isolated in 1979 by Frenchman, Louis Nicolas Vauquelin. Since that time small amounts for free chromium have been found in rare minerals. Commercial chromium is obtained from chromite ore which is actually iron chromium oxide. Its name is derived from the Greek word for colour because of its compounds having intense colours.

Chromium Metal is Highly Valued

Chromium metal is highly valued because of its hardness and resistance to corrosion. It is also able to make steel resistant to dis-colourisation and corrosion by mixing it with steel during its manufacturing process to produce what is commonly known as stainless steel. This use of chromium, along with electroplating, makes up for 85 percent of its commercial use in today\'s market. Chromium compounds make up the remaining 15 percent. In large amounts it can be toxic to the human body.

Remarkable Magnetic Characteristics

Chromium has remarkable magnetic characteristics and it is the only elemental solid that displays anti-ferromagnetic ordering at room temperature. and above 38 degrees Celsius it transforms itself into a paramagnetic state (when certain materials are attracted by an outside magnetic field).

Chromium Forms its own Protection When Exposed to air

When chromium metal is exposed to air it forms a thin protective oxide surface only a few atoms thick. This protective layer is quite dense but prevents the oxygen in the air getting through to the underlying material. Without this protection oxygen can get into plain carbon steel and iron and cause rusting. The protective oxide layer on chromium can be removed with a strong reducing agent. When this occurs the chromium metal can be dissolved in weak acids.

Uses of Chromium

  • Electroplating for appearance ,or for wear resistance. For decorative purposes only a thin layer of chromium is applied to a steel surface , a thicker layer is used for hard wearing surfaces
  • For hard wearing purposes such as high speed tools. An alloy of three to five percent chromium is used
  • Corrosion proof metal alloys such as stainless steel. Chromium is added to iron, usually in amounts over 11 percent
  • Yellow pigments in paint
  • Chromium oxides to produce green colourings. This green colour is used in the making of glass and in ceramics as a glaze. It also has uses in colouring cladding material, IR reflective paint and on military vehicles to give them a green leaf colouring

  • Y Fronts teaser bannerDowner Group MiningLink prefered resume writers Civil Link Banner
    Boilermakers
    Boilermakers required for various roles for fixed plant and mobile equipment shutdowns

    Riggers Dido


    Operator Maintainer
    Bis Industries requires an Operator Maintainer to join our operations at Karara, this is offered FIFO on 2:1 roster from Perth, come join the team!

    Mc Truck Drivers Gunnedah
    Bis Industries is seeking MC Drivers commencing at Gunnedah on a Monday to Friday roster and every other Saturday as required.

    Mc Drivers Goldfields
    Seeking expressions of interest from experienced MC Drivers, in consideration for multiple opportunities across our operations in the Goldfields.

    Prelude Arrives In Australia
    Shell Australia's Prelude floating liquefied natural gas (FLNG) facility has arrived in Australian waters this week after its 5,800km journey from the Samsung Heavy Industries shipyard in Geoje, ....

    Australia's Largest Testing Rig Unveiled In Rocky
    Siemens has invested $5 million into the Rockhampton Service Centre, which unveiled this week, Australia’s largest and most advanced gearbox load test rig for mining, wind power and other core ....

    Dinosaur Find At Qld Mine Site
    Palaeontologists and volunteers will work over the next month excavating and studying 30,000-year-old dinosaur bones at the South Walker Creek mine in Central Queensland. The team of eight people, ....

    Black Thoated Finch Puts New Coal Mine At Risk
    The controversial black throated finch is back to cause problems for Adani with a fresh legal challenge over the planned Carmichael coalmine. New advice has found the federal environment ....

    Monadelphous Awarded $55M In Contracts
    Monadelphous Group Limited announced on Wednesday it has been awarded a number of new work packages with a combined value of approximately $55 million. The engineering company will carry out ....